Frederick Underwood was born in 1849 to one of Wauwatosa’s founding families. Having grown up in Wauwatosa, Frederick entered the railroad business, moved eastward, and eventually became the president of the Erie Railroad. Based out of New York City, he always maintained a strong tie to his hometown and in 1921, Underwood commissioned Architects Scott & Mayer of Milwaukee to design a $15,000 log cabin as a residential vacation home. Originally the structure was located on “Few Acres Farm” the family estate at the corner of North and Wauwatosa Avenues. In an early act of historic preservation, the cabin was moved to the northern side of Wauwatosa Cemetery in 1955 to make way for the construction of Longfellow Middle School. The log cabin sat at 2717 N. Wauwatosa Avenue for over 60 years serving a variety of purposes such as a dentist’s office, an art gallery, and a gravestone sales office.